The overall objective is to create a critical mass of researchers and experts on veterinary public health and food security, meaning to strengthen communication with national and international scientific community.
The specific objectives are:
- to promote human, animal and environmental health, according the “One Health” approach;
- to harmonize approaches for disease detection and prevention;
- to provide scientific information and share data and best practices;
- to develop effective emergency responses;
- to encourage strategic leadership, streamlined coordination and an inclusive approach to partnership;
- to coordinate and integrate specialised knowledge;
- to draft relevant diagnostic protocols and reports for competent Authorities;
- to foster agreements between ERFAN partners and promote scientific cooperation;
- to improve diagnostic capacities of Veterinary Laboratories involved.
The expected outcomes are:
- long-term trusted relationships;
- laboratory procedures according to the OIE standards;
- reference material used in the diagnosis and control of the Working Group topics, in accordance with OIE requirements;
- organisation of ring test on the Working Group topics;
- scientific publications;
- research project proposals;
- traditional and distance Learning courses;
- regular meetings;
- future applications for “OIE Reference Laboratories or Collaborating Centres”.