EU-African Union cooperation – linking the activities of the Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture (FNSSA) partnership and those of the Pan-African Network for Economic Analysis of Policies (PANAP)
Under the Horizon Europe Framework Programme, a funding opportunity is open to support the African Free Trade Area. The successful proposal will contribute to the African Union (AU)-EU High Level Policy Dialogue (HLPD) on Science, Technology and Innovation, and its priority on Green Transition (and the respective R&I partnerships on Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture and Climate Change and Sustainable Energy), as well as to the implementation of the short-term actions outlined in the working document of the AU-EU Innovation Agenda, aiming to translate R&I efforts into tangible business, development and employment opportunities in Africa and Europe.
Projects results are expected to contribute to all of the following expected outcomes:
- Improved alignment of activities of the FNSSA Research and Innovation Partnership and of the Pan-African Network for Economic Analysis of Policies (PANAP) in the scope of EU-AU cooperation, supporting the implementation of the FNSSA 10-year roadmap and the global transition towards sustainable food systems, providing end users with co-benefits in terms of evidence-based policy analysis supporting food and nutrition security and sustainable agriculture.
- Provide opportunities for exchange in sustainable agricultural and food system policy development and related studies between EU and AU in the context of the EU-AU FNSSA Research and Innovation Partnership and in the framework of PANAP.
- Support African agricultural and food systems policy making process through enhanced cooperation in the area of economic, social and environmental impact (including biodiversity) analysis of policy options for food systems, nutrition performance, agri-food trade, and development of rural areas.
- Fill in the gap between researchers and decision-makers, by fostering dialogues to better understand the duties and responsibilities of stakeholders.
Proposals should address the following:
- Reinforcing capacity building on policy definition and impact analysis by aligning European and African training and capacity building programmes, including exchange opportunities and networking with EU-AU and intra-Africa partners, and developing partnerships between universities.
- Designing actions that will support current and future activities under the PANAP network, building on the FNSSA roadmap and ensuring synergies and complementarities with the FNSSA partnership.
- Providing methods and strategies to promote recognition of the value of integration of scientific support within policy development in Africa and in Europe.
- Using digital technologies and information systems as a means to accelerate the translation of research results into policies.
The consortium selected for funding is encouraged to cooperate with actors such as the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC). The possible participation of the JRC in the project could consist in the JRC joining the project steering committee, to ensure a strong contribution of the project to the goals and activities of the PANAP network.
For more information on Admissibility conditions and Eligible countries, visit https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/portal/screen/opportunities/topic-details/horizon-cl6-2023-farm2fork-01-17;callCode=HORIZON-CL6-2023-FARM2FORK-01;freeTextSearchKeyword=;matchWholeText=true;typeCodes=0,1,2,8;statusCodes=31094501,31094502;programmePeriod=2021%20-%202027;programCcm2Id=43108390;programDivisionCode=43121563;focusAreaCode=null;destinationGroup=45355322;missionGroup=null;geographicalZonesCode=null;programmeDivisionProspect=null;startDateLte=null;startDateGte=null;crossCuttingPriorityCode=null;cpvCode=null;performanceOfDelivery=null;sortQuery=sortStatus;orderBy=asc;onlyTenders=false;topicListKey=topicSearchTablePageState